[erlang-questions] example of race conditions ?

Dominic Williams xpdoka@REDACTED
Thu Aug 2 12:05:37 CEST 2007

>> The problem is that only one process can have a certain name
>> and what happens if more then one process want a certain name?
>
> This example is basically identical to mine (and sent a few
> minutes before mine), so I'm glad to see that my concern about
> it is warranted.
>
> What is considered "the" solution to this?

My advice is not to register processes at all, design for passing
Pid's around. Much healthier, easier to test, to reuse code,
etc. A bit less pleasant to debug or monitor, but still worth it.

Best regards,

Dominic Williams
http://dominicwilliams.net

----