[erlang-questions] Question on implementing a Megaco MGC

Pete Young pete@REDACTED
Wed Aug 1 17:45:56 CEST 2007

Greetings,

I'd like to implement a Megaco Media Gateway Controller, and as a lapsed
functional programming enthusiast it seems that doing it in Erlang would
be a good way to go about it. Ideally I'd like to be able to set up
voice calls between two media gateways.

I've been studying the megaco_simple_mgc example and the megaco_test_mgc
code from the test directory in the distribution. I'm having more success
with the latter, chiefly because I don't fully understand how the behaviour
concept used in the megaco_simple_mgc code works. But that's not my question.

I can see from the test code how the MGC handles a serviceChange request
and sends the response. What I'm unable to understand at this point is
how to program the MGC to send a request to the MG as a consequence of
recieving this message - maybe an audit request, or setting up a
termination as in the example message flow in Appendix A of the
ITUT H.248 spec.

Somewhat tangentially, I'd also like to know where the documentation
is for built-in functions, particularly spawn_link() which is used
in the megaco_test_mgc code.

Kind regards,

Pete