[erlang-questions] process dictionary, anyone?

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Tue Apr 24 10:54:34 CEST 2007

--- Mats Cronqvist <mats.cronqvist@REDACTED>
wrote:

> Robert Virding wrote:
> > Trouble is that it breaks the functional part of
> the language. Now that
> > is only really done in process dictionary,
> processes/message, ports and
> > ets.
>
>    so erlang is functional, except for the process
> dictionary, messages, ports
> and ets? then perhaps it's time to stop pretending
> it's functional?

Erlang also uses message passing, except for ets, dets
and mnesia. So let's just stop this sick pretense,
shall we? Erlang is really an imperative,
shared-memory language.

Best,
Thomas

PS. And I for one welcome our new object-oriented
masters.

PPS. Maybe it wouldn't have been banned if we had
thought of this in the first place? Dang.