[erlang-questions] 2D Map Arrays

Chandru <>
Thu Sep 7 22:56:30 CEST 2006

On 07/09/06, Jeff Crane <> wrote:
> I am trying to implement a 2d map in erlang where
> dynamic elements will be traversing it via reference.
> I have no other way to get the "locations" into memory
> other than using a large array, explicitly for
> reading.

Umm...I don't quite understand your data structure but have you looked at
ets? It is for storing tuples. You can then lookup rows/cells using either a
key or a match pattern.

I have heard of a "binary" format in erlang that is
> used for this kind of read-without-copy on large
> amounts of data.

Have you seen this?

Binaries larger than 64 bytes (I think) are referenced to and not copied on
read. Binaries smaller than 64 bytes are copied when exchanged between