Erlang downsides?

James Hague james.hague@REDACTED
Fri Sep 1 21:48:03 CEST 2006

> There is no "standard" Perl regex library. There is PCRE, but that is an
> independent re-implementation of Perl's regexes because it isn't feasible
> to decouple perl's regex implementation from the rest of perl. AFAIK the
> only scripting languages that currently use PCRE are PHP and perl6 (where
> PCRE is used for perl5 backwards compatibility).

I meant PCRE.  It's still used by Io, J, CMUCL, and Lua, to name a
few, though it's an option in some of those languages (that is, there
are multiple regex packages to choose from).  And it was standard in
Python for a while (but no more).

In any case, I am glad that the regular expression module for Erlang
isn't as over-the-top insane as regular expressions in Perl.

James