[erlang-questions] Erlang Nodes Reconnection problem

David Hopwood david.nospam.hopwood@REDACTED
Sat Oct 28 22:32:08 CEST 2006

sandhya.adabala@REDACTED wrote:
>      We are facing a very strange problem with  erlang run time system
> "Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.3.6.3".
>
>     Here is the problem:
>                     We have an erlang node running on solaris PC which
> communicates with another erlang node running on Linux PC.
> Whenever the Linux PC is halted[Solaris Erlang Node waits in a loop for
> reconnection to linux PC Node] and restarted after a long time say 12
> hrs,the communication between the erlang nodes on Linux PC and Solaris
> box is not happening properly.After the long halt the solaris erlang
> node is able to send messages to Linux erlang node,but the replies sent
> by Linux PC are reaching the erlang node very late say after 2-3 hrs.

That sounds like a symptom of a retry timer with an exponential backoff,
which has not been limited to a maximum duration between retries.

I don't know where such a timer would be in Erlang/OTP.

--
David Hopwood <david.nospam.hopwood@REDACTED>