[erlang-questions] : Was Re: Bug ?! now Erlang comment (LONG LONG)

Jeff Crane jefcrane@REDACTED
Fri Oct 27 20:08:11 CEST 2006

--- Raimo Niskanen
<raimo+erlang-questions@REDACTED> wrote:

> If there is _ANY_ suspicion a new release would
> cause _ANY_ upgrade
> problems the customers paying most of our salaries
> will _NOT_ take
> the new release and we will be stuck maintaining the
> old release
> forever, adding new features from new releases when
> they desire;
> essentially forking Erlang/OTP into two.
>
> And that is something we do not need.

If the only barrier to a language adhering to it's own
standards is commercial pressure, I would think that
fork is appropriate. Otherwise, the standards should
be modified to be more practical (less restrictive),
since that ends up being the overriding factor in
deciding changes to the language.

Personally I would love to see less arcane "having to
learn about a package implementations" (mnesia), while
trying to learn Erlang.