[erlang-questions] Multiple core processors

Gerd Flaig gefla@REDACTED
Tue Oct 3 09:25:21 CEST 2006

Cameron Kerr <ckerr@REDACTED> writes:

> And is there a benchmarking process/document/result for multicore-etc
> machines. I have an opportunity to use a Sun UltraSPARC T2000 running
> Solaris and Linux, and would like to get an idea of the likely
> performance metrics compared to classically threaded programs.

there has been some discussion about this in June:

   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.erlang.general/15639/focus=15643

What I gather from the conversation is that there is a global disk IO
lock which leads to performance degradation in disk IO intensive
applications, however there are plans to improve the situation.

If I had to make a wild guess, I'd expect that the process ring
benchmark would scale almost linearly with the number of processors.

         Goodbyte, Gerd.
--
The last thing one knows in constructing a work is what to put first.
                -- Blaise Pascal