[erlang-questions] Passing arguments to erlang from the command line

Andy Khan andyk@REDACTED
Sat Nov 18 00:01:11 CET 2006

Hi,

I'm playing with the pingpong example in the tutorial, and I'm trying to
launch the ping process directly from the command line.  When I run the
program as follows:

>erl -sname ping -run pingpong start_ping pong@REDACTED

I get the following output:

=ERROR REPORT==== 17-Nov-2006::16:55:37 ===
Error in process <0.34.0> on node 'ping@REDACTED' with exit value:
{badarg,[{pingpong,ping,2}]}

However, if I first start the erlang shell and then invoke the start_ping
method, everying works fine:

>erl -sname ping
Eshell V5.5.2  (abort with ^G)
(ping@REDACTED)1> pingpong:start_ping(pong@REDACTED).

I must be missing something about passing arguments from the command line
(I've shown my hacked about version of the ping code below).  Can anybody
help?

Regards
Andy

ping(N, Pong_Node) ->
    {pong, Pong_Node} ! {ping, self()},
    io:format("ping waiting for input~n", []),
    receive
        pong ->
            io:format("Ping received pong~n", [])
    end,