[erlang-questions] problem with epmd process of erlang

jaiswal.vikash@REDACTED jaiswal.vikash@REDACTED
Thu Nov 16 07:48:39 CET 2006

Hello ,

I'm facing a problem with epmd process of erlang . From one node ( A )
when  I'm spawning a process on second node ( B ), most of the time the
process on second node  is getting spawned . But in some occasions the
process on second node  ( B )  is not  getting spawned at all . I am not
able to establish any connection  between the nodes A and B  . At this
point I'm getting an  error " PORT2_RESP(error) " for the second node's
( B ) process ( This I can see by  running the epmd process in debug
mode ) . Now if do init 3 followed by init 4 , the problem gets solved .

Can anyone suggest as to why the error comes up and why does it come  up
only once in a while ? Also , is there any solution other then doing
init 3 and init  4 on the system ?

Here I would like to add  that the above scenario holds only when the
two nodes ( A and B ) are running on the same system .

This problem NEVER occurs when the two nodes are on two different system
.

I'm using the following :

Linux : RHEL  4 ( kernel 2.6.16.13 )

Erlang :  Version 5.3.6.3