[erlang-questions] The #erlang channel ar irc.freenode.net

Torbjorn Tornkvist tobbe@REDACTED
Fri Nov 10 09:24:02 CET 2006

After having met all Erlang friends at the EUC yesterday,
I tought I should remind everyone that there exist an
Erlang chat channel at irc.freenode.net.

It is easy to join in, for example if you use Emacs-22
you just type: M-x irc

For Emacs 21 find the rcirc.el module.

For a GUI approach, try Gaim, Chatzilla, Xchat, Kopete, etc...

Cheers, Tobbe (nick: etnt)
Ps. Perhaps there should be an HowTo for some of the Erlang
oldtimers (eh...myself included :-)

Anyway, to setup Gaim:

1. Choose the meny Tools/Accounts then choose:

Protocol: IRC
Screen Name: <Your Nickname>
Server: irc.freenode.net

That is it! Now Save and click the Online checkbox
in the Accounts window. You will now get a window
divided in three parts. In the bottom part type:

  /j #erlang

click on the #erlang tab and start chatting away.
You can now also click on the '+ Add' button to create
a shortcut in your 'Buddy List'.