[erlang-questions] EUC 2006 / proposal to enhance message receive

Jay Nelson jay@REDACTED
Thu Nov 9 08:29:55 CET 2006

I collaborated with Ulf on a presentation entitled "Message Receive
Fundamentals".  I was looking forward to attending the conference with
its strong agenda this year, alas it was not to be.  Due to time
constraints, the presentation will be part of the program but will not
be presented.

The briefing is online at http://www.duomark.com/erlang/ under the
Erlang Tutorials section.  It is in HTML rather than PDF or PPT.  The
main line of the presentation is just 4 slides, but the overview slide
has links to subsections that are loops which return to the overview.
It covers the basic syntax of the receive statement, some
recommendations on usage and then some examples of beginning to
intermediate problems.

The genesis of the presentation was an issue that cropped up when I was
doing the "Concurrent Caching" paper.  I wanted write thru to take
precedence over any pending read of the cache.  As shown in the
Fundamentals briefing, the problem of having a high priority message
requires 4 processes and the ACKing of all messages if you want to avoid
N! + N performance (where N is the number of messages on the queue).
This result seemed counterintuitive to me.  Erlang makes message sending
and receiving trivial, yet the single sequential queue made it extremely
difficult to efficiently handle some messages before others.

As a result of the briefing I added a suggested language change to
introduce a control message queue which is separate from the existing
data message queue.  A quick summary of the proposal is given in the
last slide of the presentation.  A detailed description is given at
http://www.duomark.com/erlang/proposals/outofband.html (a link is
available on the general erlang page under "Proposals for Erlang
Enhancements").

Please provide any feedback you think relevant to the problem.

jay