[erlang-questions] Package Support/Use

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Mon Nov 6 17:04:21 CET 2006

Thomas Lindgren wrote:
> Regarding exceptions vs tagged tuples, I theoretically
> prefer exceptions but have found that I often need to
> use tagged tuples in practice. If I instead will have
> to wrap calls in catch to figure out and handle
> (usually undocumented) exception values, not a
> terrible lot has been gained.

Exceptions need to be documented as part of the function interface. And
yes, this information can be tricky both to get right in the first
place, and to keep up to date. But it must be done.

In fact, the problem is just another instance of the problem of
returning values that you get from a call to some library function: if
the library function is updated, so that it might suddenly yield a value
that previous versions would never return, then your own function can
suddenly also return this value (unless you check the return values of
all functions you call, and do ...well, something, about it).

If you (anyone) thinks this does not happen in statically typed
languages, think again: If a function is declared to return 'int', but
actually returns only a subset of int, within a certain range (perhaps
error codes), the compiler will not be able to check if a caller is
expecting values within that range. Hence, your function, nicely
documented to return values in the range 1-100, might suddenly return
101. If you think enums or range types can fix this, try it with strings
instead of integers. The only way to guarantee that you pass on exactly
the data you claim to do, is to run a complete check for well-formedness
on it (this can be done in assertions or pre/postconditions), or to
always build your own return values from scratch (as a function of what
the library function returned).

The angst over exceptions as part of function signatures in the Java
world is precisely because people are suddenly confronted with a lot
more of this kind of dynamic typing than they have been used to: In
Java, what class of exceptions should you say that your function might
throw? You probably can't change the interface later. If you would need
to add a call to some library function, that might throw an exception
that is outside the class that you declared, you're stuck handling it
somehow (perhaps by throwing a different exception that fits your
interface). Exceptions are a side-band transfer mechanism, and making
exceptions part of the function prototype does not interact well with
evolution of code. C# probably made a better decision.

Enough ranting for now,

	/Richard