[erlang-questions] Package Support/Use

Olivier Sambourg olivier.sambourg@REDACTED
Mon Nov 6 11:54:36 CET 2006

Hi,

You could also use an assertion macro (which was suggested to me a while
back on this list):

-define(match(ExpectedResult, Expr, Error),
    ExpectedResult = fun() ->
        Res = (catch (Expr)),
        case Res of
            ExpectedResult     -> Res;
            _               -> throw({match_error, Error})
        end
    end()).

And use it like this:

?match({ok,FD}, open(Name), open_file_error),
?match({ok,Data}, read(FD), read_data_error),
etc.

Keeps the TradErl philosophy, but with better error reporting. And you don't
need to figure out every possible error in either open() or read() (but you
still can if you want or if you have to : the exception will be thrown
before the failed assertion)

Olivier