[erlang-questions] Package Support/Use

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Mon Nov 6 03:38:08 CET 2006

Dominic Williams <xpdoka@REDACTED> wrote:
	Compared to some other language communities I have known,
	this one is actually rather weak on community
	standards. I'll just offer three examples:

	- naming (camel case vs. underscore)

May I request a compiler option, enabled by default, to flag
every occurrence of baStudlyCaps as a style error?

	- returning tagged values vs. throwing

I thought we did have advice about that?  I can't remember where
I saw it, but it was along the lines of "don't use exceptions
except for things that are really exceptional".  In other languages,
for example, coming to the end of a file is NOT exceptional; most
"files" HAVE an end.  So a language shouldn't indicate reaching the end
of a file (for the first time, at least) by raising an exception.

	- using OTP or not

The advice I see here is consistent:  use it.