[erlang-questions] Package Support/Use

James Hague james.hague@REDACTED
Fri Nov 3 21:39:15 CET 2006

On 11/3/06, Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) <ulf.wiger@REDACTED> wrote:

> ROK's 'flotilla' concept also hasn't been adopted.
> Does that mean it's obviuosly a bad idea? What about
> abstract patterns, or structs? They've certainly been
> debated long enough, but are still not in the
> language. Does that mean they shouldn't be?

The difference is that packages exist right now and are in the OTP
distribution.  They're just still flagged as experimental.  Abstract
patterns and structs stopped at the written description phases.  I
don't know what the flotilla concept is.  (BTW, I think it's fantastic
that packages were prototyped.)

Now if structs were in part of the Erlang system and hardly anyone
used them, then yes, I think that would be a bad sign :)

James