[erlang-questions] Package Support/Use: Episode IV - A New Hope

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Wed Nov 1 22:04:26 CET 2006

Den 2006-11-01 21:33:57 skrev Richard Carlsson <richardc@REDACTED>:

> I know that Ulf has tried out packages pretty
> extensively before, but only in open source side projects as far as I
> know. So there you have it:

Well, this is (will be) an Open Source project too.  /-:
(I'm not sure in which way this is bad, though.)

Anyway, erlhive's use of packages is ... different.
It's sort of a community framework, where the calling
convention for using other user's modules is

   erlhive.User.Module

(If you want to use package names inside your own account,
the dotted parts could just trail off into the sunset on
the right side. It still starts with e.g. erlhive.uwiger...)

Of course, modules are not stored in a file structure, but in
the database (where else?)

(I do allow the module name to be non-dotted, and erlhive
makes it a dotted name anyway. The reason for this was to
simplify copying of modules between user accounts.)

So, I had an obvious namespace problem, and instead of doing
arbitrary atom munging in the background, packages seemed the
obvious solution.

BR,
Ulf W
--