Erlang port to the Java Virtual Machine

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Wed May 31 08:45:09 CEST 2006

On 5/31/06, Andrew Lentvorski <bsder@REDACTED> wrote:
> GUI Integration:
> Tk and Gtk only - that pretty much makes my point
> (Yes, I know about the wx bindings.  I've used wx.  Never again.)
>
> Bonus: Java external libraries
> There are a lot of libraries in Java which could then be called without
> having to create large, special-purpose wrappers.

In order to get that (i.e. direct access to Java code) one would first
have to devise a way to represent Java objects and calls to Java code
in Erlang. I can't see any other way than creating some kind of
generic wrappers. (But of course it's known that I've been wrong
before :-)

On the other hand, if there was a way to do this generic wrapping
behind the scenes, it would be easier to start by letting accessing
Java via a socket connection or jinterface.

[To counter the argument about starting two VMs, it is reasonable to
believe that implementing JErlang would be also a large application,
so memory consumption might be the same but in one OS process instead
of two]

regards,
Vlad