how "synchronous" is exit?

Damien Katz damien_katz@REDACTED
Tue May 30 21:44:04 CEST 2006

Ok, so it appears the code should do something like
this:

Ref = erlang:monitor(process, Pid),
exit(Pid, kill),
receive
{'DOWN', Ref, process, Pid, Reason} ->
  do_something()
end

Just to be sure, am I guaranteed the 'DOWN' message
will only be received *after* the whole linked process
tree under Pid is killed?

The reason I ask, I have a process tree that modifies
a file. The file sub-process is in the
process tree.

My code wants to kill that process tree and start a
new one that modifies the same file. Incomplete writes
are not a problems, but race conditions are. I have to
be sure another process isn't still making writes to
the file, so I have to make sure the whole process
tree is dead.

http://www.erlang.org/doc/doc-5.5/lib/kernel-2.11/doc/html/erlang.html

http://www.erlang.org/doc/doc-5.5/doc/reference_manual/processes.html#10.6