Erlang/OTP R11B has been released

Rickard Green rickard.s.green@REDACTED
Wed May 17 18:55:55 CEST 2006

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) wrote:
> Björn Gustavsson wrote:
>> Erlang/OTP R11B has been released as planned on May 17, 2006.
>
> Any explanation as to why the "big" benchmark runs 5 times faster on 4 schedulers than on one (AMD Opteron 2 dual core) and 2.8x faster on 2 cores (AMD Athlon 64 X2)?
>
> /Ulf W

There is no I/0 during the big:bang test. The I/O thread of the smp
emulator will be blocked in poll() during the whole test while the
scheduler threads execute Erlang code. In the non smp emulator the
scheduler thread also have to poll for I/O (quite frequently).

This is definitely contributing, but I don't think it can explain all of it.

Regards,
Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP