Linus Thorvalds has stated something about microkernels and monolithic kernels

launoja@REDACTED launoja@REDACTED
Wed May 10 12:10:47 CEST 2006

On Wed, 10 May 2006 11:42:14 +0300
  Jouni Rynö <Jouni.Ryno@REDACTED> wrote:
> which is interested to read for Erlangers, IMHO. The
>real link
> http://www.realworldtech.com/forums/index.cfm?action=detail&PostNum=4342&Thread=12&entryID=66630&roomID=11
>
> is down (slashdotted due to
> http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/05/10/0439246&from=rss
>
> but least this mirror:
>
> http://www.mirrordot.org/stories/3f6b22ec7a7cffcf2847b92cd5dec7e7/index.html
>
> worked

Very interesting. What jumped to my eye is was Linus'
statement:
"The whole argument that microkernels are somehow "more
secure" or "more stable" is also total crap. The fact that
each individual piece is simple and secure does not make
the aggregate either simple or secure."

Certainly Linux kernel is modularized to keep interactions
simpler and
more stable? Or would it make any difference to make the
whole kernel was in just one giant function instead of
composed of
numerous simpler functions... if little exaggeration is
allowed ;)

But here's an interesting link concerning microkernels and
isolation -
escpecially when considered Erlang in mind:
http://tinyurl.com/qhuhg

> regards
> 	Jouni
> --
>
>  Jouni Rynö
>                           mailto://Jouni.Ryno@fmi.fi/
>                                        http://www.geo.fmi.fi/~ryno/
>  Finnish Meteorological Institute
>     http://www.fmi.fi/
>  Space Research
>                       http://www.geo.fmi.fi/
>  P.O.BOX 503                           Tel
>     (+358)-9-19294656
>  FIN-00101 Helsinki                    FAX
>     (+358)-9-19294603
>  Finland                               priv-GSM
>(+358)-50-5302903
>
>  "It's just zeros and ones, it cannot be hard"

Cheers,
Jani Launonen