optimization questions

Gaspar Chilingarov nm@REDACTED
Mon May 8 22:55:18 CEST 2006

Hello!

Can erlang vm's gurus tell me which case is more efficient

R = size(Binary),

[ SomeFunction(R, X)  || X <- lists:seq(1, 1000) ]

or

[ SomeFunction(size(Binary), X)  || X <- lists:seq(1, 1000) ]

so - does compiler and vm understand that some parts of recursion are
constant and move their calculation outside of recursion or I should do
it by hand?

In c/perl practice I prefer to do such optimization by hand, what about
erlang?

Another issue - what if size(BInary) changed to ... say self() - I mean
that fetching binar sze may be faster operation than creating variable
and accessign it every time.

Tnanks in advance.

--
Gaspar Chilingarov