error_logger and user memory usage

Samuel Rivas samuel@REDACTED
Fri May 5 13:17:07 CEST 2006

Hello,

  I have one application that handles relatively big binaries. There are
some gen_servers that may have buffers up to 5000000 bytes in their
state.

  The problem is that after a certain number (less than 4) of consecutive
failures my system runs out of memory and starts swapping. The processes
that seem to be eating the memory are error_logger and user; even after
stopping the system they use more than 100 M.

  I reckon the problem are the verbose error reports that are written in
the tty (large messages and large states in the crashing gen_servers).

  An easy workaround is removing error_logger_tty_h from the error_logger
and living with sasl error_handler only.

  Any ideas about what is really happening?
--
	Samuel