File sharing software

Yariv Sadan yariv@REDACTED
Thu May 4 15:11:30 CEST 2006

Jay, I guess the discussion did get a little off topic, because it
started on potential uses for Erlang in building a consumer P2P app
and ended in how to modify Mnesia to efficiently handle large
blobs :) The application I had in mind was actually the backend piece
of a client/server (or a hybrid p2p and client/server, which is
Pando's architecture) application, where the central servers have to
store large amounts of data. In Pando's case, for instance, our
servers participate in all the swarms in order to provide reliable
offline delivery, which puts massive storage requirements on our
servers. I was envisioning a similar architecture, but one that uses
Mnesia for storage on the backend.

Would Mnesia work for Pando if it had this capability? Maybe not. But
I think that this capability would make Mnesia/Erlang appealing for
many other applications for which Mnesia is currently not a great
option because they require storing large pools of media assets on
central servers (think Flickr). (As a matter of fact, if/when Mnesia
has this feature, I will go ahead and use Erlang to build a Flickr
clone, which I will name FlickER, just for fun :D )

Yariv