File sharing software

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Wed May 3 13:33:15 CEST 2006

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) wrote:
> I personally don't think that dets is an especially good
> storage solution for very large databases. But in my
> formative years of learning database technology, the DBMS
> would usually take a raw partition and even bypass the
> file system. In the 90's, this was the only way if you
> were serious about reliable and efficient database storage.
> Perhaps this is not true anymore...? Obviously, MySQL
> et al don't do it that way.

Oracle doesn't bypass the file system (though it offers an option for
that).  We have a 2TB database storing call detail records, and Oracle's
partitioning scheme (partition key by range or by value with local
partition indexes) allows for good read/write performance.  Of course I
would never recommend using Oracle for soft-real-time queries, as the
response time is by no means guaranteed, yet, if one needs a reliable
database for storing very large amounts of data, I don't think Oracle
has many competitors in the area.  BTW, Oracle's recent acquisition of
TimesTen seems to give a good combination of a real-time database cache
replicated to the disk-based Oracle database.

http://www.oracle.com/database/timesten.html

Regards,

Serge