Child modules draft feedback wanted

Romain Lenglet rlenglet@REDACTED
Fri Mar 31 06:13:33 CEST 2006

Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> I've mentioned "child modules" in this mailing list.
>
> http://www.cs.otago.ac.nz/staffpriv/ok/childmod.htm
>
> is a *draft* description of what I'm talking about.
> The configuration language section is missing entirely.
> The Prolog version of the idea is very sketchy.
> But I think the description of the Erlang version is clear
> enough to be criticised, so if anyone would care to read it
> (remembering that it's a draft) and send me comments, that
> would be a kindness.

Let's specify something more like existing classical component
models and ADLs:

In the "client" module:

-module(client).
-require(fred, [roast/1,]).
dosmthng(Foo) ->
    fred:roast(Foo).

My -require clause is almost identical to your -use_child
directive, and the module name is not a real module name, but
rather a "logical" one which scope is limited to the declaring
module.

And an ADL (yes, the "configuration language" here is in fact an
Architecture Description Language) would allow to specify the
dependencies *outside* of the code, as bindings between the
-requires clauses' logical module names and actual module names.
Just like your proposal, this follows the Principle of Separation
of Concerns, hence it allows to modify dependencies without
modifying the code and recompiling.
Modifying dependencies could be done either at compile time or
run-time (this would be an implementation detail).

For instance:
{bind, client, fred, actualfred}
Would specify that all references to the 'fred' logical module in
module 'client' must be resolved as references to actual module
'actualfred'.

Of course, just like you allow several -use_child clauses,
several -require clauses should be allowed in a module, hence a
module could be bound to several other modules.

And 'actualfred' would be a normal module.
If 'actualfred' has dependencies itself (as were expressed with
"To_The_Child" declarations in your proposal), then those can be
expressed with -require likewise:: (there is no need to
distinguish between dfferent "kinds of depencencies", and
between "parent" and "child" modules)

-module(actualfred).
-require(parent, [beef/1]).
bar(Bar) ->
    parent:beef(Bar).

And in my simple ADL, it could be bound likewise:
{bind, actualfred, parent, client}

A complete architecture specification would be a list of 'bind'
records:
[{bind, client, fred, actualfred}
 {bind, actualfred, parent, client}]

I believe that we don't need any more concepts in the ADL so far.
Except perhaps your concepts of replaceable / integrated. But I
believe that such things should be specified in an ADL spec
rather than in the code: the spec in the code should be reduced
to the strict minimal, and anything that can be specified
outside of the code (typically, in the ADL) should be specified
outside (Principle of Separation of Concerns...). Extensibility
of such architectural mechanisms should rely on the
extensibility of the ADL, not on the module source code syntax.

Actually, I believe that one ADL could not cover all needs, hence
we could need several ones: we need a simple ADL to cover the
minimum needs (bindings between modules), but we may need a more
complex, extensible ADL for the more complex cases.

IMHO, my proposal:
1- is simpler than your proposal: only one new clause is added to
the syntax (-require);
2- does not distinguish between "parent" and "child" modules:
such a distinction is not necessary;
3- allows all that your proposal allows.

This is just a simplification of your syntax and concepts.
I hope this it is a step forward...

--
Romain LENGLET