Newbie questions

Raimo Niskanen raimo@REDACTED
Thu Mar 30 18:03:48 CEST 2006

You are right! I did not think about that.

But bignum multiply by smallnum would require
O(MM) multiplications plus O(MM) additions with carry
where MM is the number of bignum digits (halfwords
in the erlang implementation) in the bignum. So
the bignum multiplication would be O(log(M)) itself.

The comparision would be like a bignum addition
which I guess also would be O(MM).

Would that result in O(MM*MM) => O(log(M)*log(M))?

Note: M > N could be optimized by first checking sign
      and then comparing number of bignum digits
      followed by comparision on highest bignum digit,
      which would be O(1) unless they differ in worst
      case the lowest digit which would be O(MM). This
      since bignums are represented as a flexible number
      of bignum digits (halfwords) of which the highest
      must not be zero...
      ...Now I checked the code, that was the implementation!