os_mon & alarm_handler in R10B-10

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Wed Mar 29 14:31:12 CEST 2006

Hi Micael,

What keeps bothering me is the fact that if you examine otp_mibs
application file, it doesn't mention the need for mnesia:

{application, otp_mibs,
  [..., {applications, [kernel, stdlib, snmp]}, ... ]}.

Consequently, release files such as the following:

{release, ...,
   [
     {kernel  , "2.10.13"},
     {stdlib  , "1.13.12"},
     {otp_mibs, "1.0.4"},
     {mnesia  , "4.2.5"},   % Mnesia is started in this case
     {snmp    , "4.7.1"}
   ]
}.

{release, ...,
   [
     {kernel  , "2.10.13"},
     {stdlib  , "1.13.12"},
     {otp_mibs, "1.0.4"},
     {snmp    , "4.7.1"}
   ]
}.

together with the application's config file containing:

   {snmp, [{agent, [..., {mibs, ["mibs/priv/OTP-MIB"]}, ...]}]}

will start by successfully loading OTP-MIB into the SNMP agent's data
store.  Nonetheless, the later definition of the release file will lead
to run-time errors in SNMP manager's queries to OIDs inside the OTP-MIB.

While I still think that SNMP agent shouldn't allow to load a mib if a
'new' instrumentation function is defined for an OID, and the 'new'
instrumentation call raises an exception, the OTP-MIB's dependency on
mnesia should at least be documented to avoid confusion.

Regards,

Serge