About Erlang system nodes

Renyi Xiong rxiong@REDACTED
Wed Mar 29 01:30:21 CEST 2006

I tried ethereal to intercept packets between 2 erlang nodes over ssl and
proved that you guys are right! - the packets were no longer plain text
after I applied ssl.

Brian,

Since erlang has built in security (ssl), we probably don't need any ip
tunneling.

Thank you very much,
Renyi.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB)" <ulf.wiger@REDACTED>
To: "Renyi Xiong" <rxiong@REDACTED>; "chandru"
<chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@REDACTED>; <tzheng@REDACTED>
Cc: <erlang-questions@REDACTED>
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 11:52 PM
Subject: RE: About Erlang system nodes

This seems impossible. There is only one tcp session
between two erlang nodes. All communication, be it
spawn commands or pure message passing, is passed
on the same link.

The erlang:send/2 function (the ! operator) is
implemented in the virtual machine. The VM knows
which port is mapped to a given node, and sends
messages through that port. If that port is opened
over SSL, all communication between the two nodes
will be encrypted.

BR,
Ulf W