Port driver communication witout copy of binaries

Raimo Niskanen raimo@REDACTED
Tue Mar 28 13:42:01 CEST 2006

What you really want to do can not be done (as far as I know)
but you might get it done with some tricks...

To avoid copying your driver must implement the
->outputv() entry point and you must send it I/O lists
being lists of binaries (might even be an improper list,
that is a binary in the tail). You will have to map
your tuples into that.

If you send [1,<<2,3,4>>,5,6|<<7,8>>] to the driver,
void (*outputv)(ErlDrvData drv_data, ErlIOVec *ev) will get:

ev->iov[0].iov_len = 1;
ev->iov[0].iov_base -> {1};
ev->binv[0] = NULL;
ev->iov[1].iov_len = 3;
ev->iov[1].iov_base -> ev->binv[1]->orig_bytes;
ev->binv[1]->orig_size = 3;
ev->binv[1]->orig_bytes = {2,3,4};
ev->iov[2].iov_len = 2;
ev->iov[2].iov_base -> {5,6};
ev->binv[2] = NULL;
ev->iov[3].iov_len = 2;
ev->iov[3].iov_base -> ev->binv[3]->orig_bytes;
ev->binv[3]->orig_size = 2;
ev->binv[3]->orig_bytes = {7,8};

approximately, excuse my syntax :-)

Binaries will be binaries and intermediate bytes
will be loose vectors. If your driver wants to
hang on to the data, it will have to use the
reference count in the binary to avoid premature freeing.

To send data back without copying your driver will
have to use driver_outputv() and it arrives to erlang as
a header list of integers followed by a list of
binaries. Conversion to tuple format will have to
be done in erlang.

Keep on dreaming...

Have a look at efile_drv.c in the sources...