SSL for Erlang Distribution

Raimo Niskanen raimo@REDACTED
Tue Mar 28 10:01:50 CEST 2006

When two distribute erlang nodes are connected,
_all_ communication between the nodes goes over one
TCP connection, encrypted or not.

There is no difference between different distributed commands.
A spawn|spawn_link/2,4 is just as distributed
as a ! to a remote pid or {Name,Node} destination.
If an operation targets a remote node that is not
connected it will be autoconnected for any operation.
(there are configuration flags that affect this)

tzheng@REDACTED (Tony Zheng) writes:

> If the distributed erlang nodes are run over SSL, it only affects those
> distributed command like spawn_link. It doesn't affect primitive command
> like message passing command - '!'. That means if we run distributed
> Mnesia, it doesn't automatically have encrypted communication between
> Mnesia nodes even if SSL is employed. Is that correct?

No. Try!