Erlang/Windows stabilty - a newbie question.

kaslist kaslist@REDACTED
Mon Mar 27 01:04:47 CEST 2006

Ulf Wiger wrote:
> Still, if you'd throw in a call to
> erlang:garbage_collect() every once in a while, your system will
> probably stay up.
>
> In a live system, you'd want to consider spawning a process
> to do the work and then die.
>
> Regards,
> Ulf W
> --Ulf Wiger

It works! :)  Thanks Ulf for this solution and the background
information about how Erlang is doing its GCing.

As to spawning... I did try that when I was originally looking for a fix
to the problem... however that seemed to take the average time for each
tokenising function pass from approx. 10secs... to approx. 60-120+
secs... so I guessed this was a bad idea!

I'll retry the spawning approach in the light of everything suggested.

Anyway, thanks again... and also to Michael for his feedback too,

Kyle.