Can pattern variables be globally bound?

Ryan Rawson ryanobjc@REDACTED
Sat Mar 25 15:15:18 CET 2006

You are correct.  Essentially when X != 0, you are trying to
essentially say "b IFF X*10  == X".  Which is generally not true :-)
So you get a case clause exception.

The subject line is a little misleading, since variables can only
exist in the context of a single function "scope" - with lexical
scoping rules of course for fun()s.

"Global" variables can be accomplished with the process dictionary or
ets or mnesia tables.  There are other techniques, like using a
gen_server to maintain state across requests (using recursion/tail
recusion).

-ryan