'after' in gen_server

orbitz@REDACTED orbitz@REDACTED
Fri Mar 24 04:24:17 CET 2006

The reason I don't like 1 that much is because my code looks something
like:
handle_cast({irc_connect, Nick}, #state{state=connecting, dict=Dict,
irclib=Irclib} = State) ->
     % Do connect stuff
     join_channels(Irclib, dict_proc:fetch(join_on_connect, Dict)),
     {noreply, State#state{nick=Nick, state=idle}};
handle_cast({stop, _}, #state{state=connecting} = State) ->
     {stop, stop, State};
handle_cast({irc_message, {_, "PONG", _}}, #state{state=pong,
pong_timeout=Ref} = State) ->
     {ok, cancel} = timer:cancel(Ref),
     {noreply, State#state{state=idle, pong_timeout=undefined}};
handle_cast(irc_closed, #state{irclib=Irclib} = State) ->
     irc_lib:connect(Irclib),
     {noreply, State#state{state=connecting}};
handle_cast({irc_message, {_, "PING", [Server]}}, #state{irclib=Irclib}
= State) ->
     irc_lib:pong(Irclib, Server),
     {noreply, State};
handle_cast({irc_message, {_, "KICK", [Channel, Nick, _]}},
#state{irclib=Irclib, nick=Nick} = State) ->
     irc_lib:join(Irclib, Channel),
     {noreply, State};

So it gets ugly to return a timeout in all of these places.