'after' in gen_server

orbitz@REDACTED orbitz@REDACTED
Thu Mar 23 16:42:04 CET 2006

I am reworking a bit of code into gen_server pattern.  In this code I
have a typical loop construct.  In this I want to perform an action if
no messages have been receive in a certain amount of time, to do this I
simply have after sometimeout ->.  Is there any equivalence of this in
gen_server?
It has been suggested that I use a timer and record when the last
message has come in and when the timer signals check against that
message.  This seems a poor solution.  Another suggestions was to use a
gen_fsm with a timeout, but this seem a bit much just to get an 'after'
mechanism. Any other suggestions?  Perhaps my disregard of gen_fsm is a
bit hasty?