large gen_fsms

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Mon Mar 20 16:02:47 CET 2006

This is basically what my talk was about at the EUC,
even though it didn't specifically focus on _large_
fsms, but rather on dealing with complex interaction
in state machines.
http://www.erlang.se/euc/05/1500Wiger.ppt

The problem with FIFO-style callback-oriented frameworks
is that they don't compose well, so if you want to
manage the fsms in the manner that you propose, you
still have to deal with a global state-event matrix.
If there is any chance at all that the global ordering
of events can be significant (*), you are asking for
trouble doing this in gen_fsm, or any framework with
similar semantics.

(*) I suspect that if this is not the case, the fsms
probably don't need to be in the same process to
begin with.

Even so, Joel Reymont posted an alternative approach:
http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200601/msg00003.html

It might be worth looking into.

Regards,
Ulf W