build questions

Matthias Lang <>
Sat Mar 18 21:18:36 CET 2006

Since the subject is up again, I'd like to plug Brian Zhou's work:

I have repeated what he did, though for a different target
architecture. Some relatively simple things the 'mainstream' erlang
distribution could steal from this are:

    You can see Brian's patch here:

    The first part of the patch does the right thing for linux, but
    it would be better if the 'poll' test could be overridden by an
    ac_cv_xxx setting.

    The second part of the patch seems like The Right Thing To Do.

    There's a configure option --disable-hipe, but it doesn't
    completely disable hipe. It stil tries to run 'mkliteral'.

    Hacking erts/emulator/ so that HIPE_GENERATE is
    left empty mostly fixes that.
The above changes are sufficient to allow me to cross-compile Erlang
for my target with nothing more but correctly set environment
variables. The Erlang-specific ones are:

    export ac_cv_prog_javac_ver_1_2=no
    export ac_cv_c_bigendian=yes
    export ac_cv_prog_javac_ver_1_2=no
    export ac_cv_func_setvbuf_reversed=no