The Computer Language Shootout

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Fri Mar 17 10:57:41 CET 2006

One obvious first optimization would be to
not use string:str(Line, ">THREE Homo sapiens frequency"),
but rather to check whether the line actually starts
with ">THREE", thus:

seek_three() ->
    case io:get_line('') of
       ">THREE" ++ _ -> found;
       eof -> erlang:error(eof);
       _ -> seek_three()
    end.

This tiny change alone gives a 18% speedup
on my machine.

Regards,
Ulf W