the Hopwood design process

chandru chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@REDACTED
Tue Mar 14 14:28:12 CET 2006

On 14/03/06, Thomas Lindgren <thomasl_erlang@REDACTED> wrote:

> Anyway, let me add two things to the new features
> discussion.
>
> First, pragmatically speaking, it might be useful to
> release some features as "experimental", with the
> explicit proviso that they can be modified or perhaps
> even removed in the future, until classified as
> "stable". This allows for community feedback without
> locking into a given design beforehand.

This is quite easily done when new libraries are being introduced
which do not need any special support from the runtime system. But
when you are talking about a new language feature such as this I guess
it becomes very hard because you've got to change the compiler, beam,
debugger and heavens knows what else - all in one go. To do that in a
non commital way can be very hard?

Chandru