Abstract patterns

Bjorn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Tue Mar 14 10:30:39 CET 2006

Actually, I think that you have answered that one yourself in a later email:   :-)

> In practice, once it has been decided to implement a feature, it will stay in
> the language forever, even if it is never optimized. Instances of features being
> *removed* from a programming language in the course of its incremental development
> are vanishingly rare. Partly this is because of backward compatibility, but
> mainly it is because the cost of retaining a feature is rather low.

That's why we think twice (or thrice) before actually starting to implement
a new feature. Also, we don't want to be stuck with (more) half-implemented
features, so if we are not sure that stage 3 would be enough or that we would
ever reach stage 5, we don't start.

Regarding abstract patterns, our decision was not to never implement it,
but to not implement it NOW.

/Bjorn