gen_tcp:recv - last segement when closed port

Valentin Micic valentin@REDACTED
Mon Mar 13 01:38:18 CET 2006

Did I read your message -- yes I did. Maybe I could ask the same question?
I was not describing persistent connection -- client closes the connection
after receiving the response.
The point I've been trying to make was that "initial success of web" had to
rely on something more consistent -- the argument is reinforced in HTTP/1.1,
assuming that it builds on weaknesses identified in predecessor... not that
anything was wrong with server closing the connection, however, the quote
I've included implies that practice did not work as planned. If one put
Microsoft into equation (and world was more Microsoft then than it is today)
that always had their own set of ideas on how world should work -- it is
quite feasible that server closure created some problems. More I think of
it, more convinced I get that Connection header has been introduced to
accommodate Mickeysoft, whilst persistent connection was just a side effect
;-). Thus, the rest of the world uses *close*, and IE uses *keepalive* by
default.

But I'd like to end this debate, as I'm finding myself more wanting to prove
you wrong, than to contribute meaningfully -- and I don't like doing that.
Can we agree that world is not ideal place, and that TCP, in all its
implementations,  is far from being perfect.

V.