gen_tcp:recv - last segement when closed port

Valentin Micic valentin@REDACTED
Sun Mar 12 14:13:47 CET 2006

> Maybe you're thinking of TCP reset (RST),

No I was thinking about FIN-1, and yes, I was wrong, as far as protocol is
concerned .
Although, this is not relevant to the case in question, consider a sequence
diagram below:

A --------512By------------>B ---- reads 128By -------> App
A <------64------------------B <----------64By---------- App
                                              B -----reads 128By ------->
App
A ----------FIN-1-----------> B <-----------64By--------- App
A <--------64By--------------|
A ---------RESET----------> B Remaining 256 Bytes are lost
.
.
.

If application read only fraction of the data available, as per your
assertion, arrival of FIN-1 shall not inform App about remote closure. This
leaves App free to send any kind of data back to the remote peer. However,
when remote peer receives such data, considering that it is in FIN-WAIT
state, it has no choice but to reply with RESET, and hence force receive
buffer on App side to flush all the data. I had a situation like this many
years ago, and assocciated the loss of data to close request, while infact,
it was App sending data causing remote peer to issue RESET request, and
hence flushing the tcp buffer on App side.
Thank you for making me think it through :-).

V.