gen_tcp:recv - last segement when closed port

Corrado Santoro csanto@REDACTED
Sun Mar 12 10:59:58 CET 2006

Hi all,

as far as I remember, sometimes ago I had a similar problem in a C
program, so, even if Per argue that TCP promises a reliable byte stream
(and this is true), I think that there is a sort of strange behaviour in
handling disconnection conditions (I experienced this problem on Linux).
I solved the problem by readling a byte at time, but undoubtedly this is
not an elegant solution.

It could be related to the fact that, if you have 300 final bytes in the
buffer and perform a read requesting 1024 bytes, the socket
implementation says "no, I can't give you the buffer you request because
the socket has been closed".

--Corrado