optimization of list comprehensions

Mats Cronqvist mats.cronqvist@REDACTED
Fri Mar 10 10:46:34 CET 2006

Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> [...]
> If funs are not used when they are *appropriate*, then it isn't
> "perfectly fine" Erlang.

   appropriateness is in the eye of the beholder.

> [...]
> Remember, language features don't come free.
> *Someone* has to design them.
> *Someone* has to implement them.
> *Someone* has to document them.
> *Someone* has to revised training materials.
> This is more effort than you might think, so it had better have a
> high enough payoff.  If it is you doing all these things, then it's
> entirely up to your judgement whether to do it.  If you are asking
> other people to do them for you, you had better give them good reasons.

   i'm well aware that new features don't come free. as a matter of fact, i
could find out exactly how much it would cost.
   if i was certain that new notation would improve our product, i would be
having this discussion directly with OTP. as it is, i'm a bit discouraged after
noticing how little use of list comprehensions there actually is.

   mats