Multi-core Erlang

Eranga Udesh casper2000a@REDACTED
Fri Mar 10 06:00:08 CET 2006

This is excellent info and very good results. Now I have a hope for my
Performance problem. But still I have a problem in Linux due to very high
iowait issue (iowait goes over 80-90%, while user CPU usage is below
10-15%). I guess it's due to the broken Linux kernel ver 2.6.x or poor IO
performance in HP ML/DL servers which we use.

Thanks,
- Eranga

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-erlang-questions@REDACTED
[mailto:owner-erlang-questions@REDACTED] On Behalf Of Joe Armstrong
(AL/EAB)
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:23 PM
To: Rickard Green S (AS/EAB); erlang-questions@REDACTED
Subject: Multi-core Erlang

Hello list,

    Following Rickards post I have now got my hands on a dual core dual
processor
system - (ie 4 CPUs) and we have been able to reproduce Richards
results.

    I have posted a longer article (with images) on my newly started
blog

    http://www.erlang-stuff.net/blog/

    This shows a 3.6 factor speedup for a message passing benchmark and
1.8 for an application program (a SIP stack) - these are good results.
The
second program in particular was not written to avoid sequential
bottlenecks.

     Despite this it ran 1.8 times faster on a 4 CPU system than on a
one CPU system.

     The nice thing about these results were that the benchmark ran
almost 4 times faster
- this benchmark just did spawns message passing and computations and
had no sequential
bottlenecks - pure code made from lots of small processes seems to speed
up nicely on
a multi-core system.

     Well done Rickard

     So how do you make stuff that goes fast? - go parallel

Cheers

/Joe