Erlang and CORBA

Stelianos G. Sfakianakis sgsfak@REDACTED
Fri Mar 3 15:50:04 CET 2006

Hi!

I 've started to investigate the use of Erlang/Yaws for some work of
mine and I am currently puzzled about the corba *client* support. To
be more specific I have a CORBA server written using TAO and I want to
communicate with it from Erlang. Questions:

1. It seems that I have to start orber and according to the docs I did this:

mnesia:start().
corba:orb_init([{domain, "testORB"}, {orber_debug_level, 10}]).
orber:install([node()], [{ifr_storage_type, ram_copies}]).
orber:start().

But by doing so a new listening TCP port (4001) is opened. Since I
want to just use the client side of corba this seems unnecessary. Can
I use corba without opening a (server) port?

2. I used the corba:string_to_object/1 function and got an object
reference from a corbaloc string. Then I called a simple method and
saw that the server responded. The problem is that when the erlang
tries to un marshall the response throws an error like this

[1085] cdr_decode:ifrid_to_name("IDL:Test/TestSt:1.0"). IFR Id not found: []

Any ideas about what is wrong? Should I do anything to populate the
IFR with the my (user defined) corba types?

Thanks!
Stelios