optimization of list comprehensions

Per Gustafsson per.gustafsson@REDACTED
Thu Mar 2 16:27:57 CET 2006

Hi Mats

Do I understand your construction correctly if I describe it like this:

A fold-expression have the following syntax:

(expr(X1,..XN,Y1,...,YM) || PatX <- List, PatY <-- Acc0)

Where X1,...,XN are variables from PatX and Y1,...,YN are variables from
PatY, List is the list to fold over and Acc0 is the initial accumulator.

This can be translated into the following code using lists:foldl:

lists:foldl(fun(PatX,PatY) -> expr(X1,...,XN,Y1,...,YM) end,
  List, Acc0)

An example to calculate the sum of a list of two-tuples:

two_tuple_sum(List) ->
   ({X+XAcc,Y+YAcc} || {X,Y} <- List, {XAcc,YAcc} <-- {0,0})

It is trivial to add filters to this construction as well. It is less
clear to me how it would work with multiple generators.

To get mapfoldl would be a little bit trickier (less natural) but the
following syntax could do the trick:

[expr(X1,..XN,Y1,...,YM) || PatX <- List, PatY <-- Acc0]

where expr(X1,..XN,Y1,...,YM) returns a two-tuple and the whole
expression returns a two-tuple. (Which is unfortunate as it seems to
return a list)

This can be translated into the following code using lists:mapfoldl:

lists:mapfoldl(fun(PatX,PatY) -> expr(X1,...,XN,Y1,...,YM) end,
	       List, Acc0)

An example to calculate the sum of a list and decrease each value in the
list by one:

sum_and_dec(List) ->
   [{X-1,X+Acc} || X<-List Acc <-- 0]

Of course to get the foldr, mapfoldr versions the list generator should
be written: List -> PatX  :)

I feel that the issue with adding (too many) of these kinds of
constructs are that they tend to make the language harder to read
because it becomes difficult to see the difference between the different
constructs that look quite similar. Another issue is that it probably
would be quite difficult to convince the parser to accept this.

Per Gustafsson