big erlang web solution

Yariv Sadan yarivvv@REDACTED
Sun Jun 25 19:56:02 CEST 2006

> > 2. I will want to have use a distributed filesystem instead of
> > database to access data. Any good recommendations in this context.
> > Database will still probably be used to hold pointers to specific data
> > but data will be in filesystem.
>
> I have similar needs in the near future.  My desire is to use mensia
> for my main OLTP data store and have a filesystem store for
> documents.  I need full text search and easy admin for this file
> system document store.  If you find a product that does this, please
> let me know.

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, what kind of characteristics are you looking
for in a distributed file system? I'm in the initial stages of
building a web application that needs to store files on disc (not huge
files, probably only images), and my planned approach at the moment is
to store file metadata and pointer to physical location in a
distributed database -- either MySQL or Mnesia (I prefer Mnesia, but
at the moment, it looks like I'm going to have to use MySQL to store
at least some of my data, so I might end up using MySQL exclusively --
I haven't made up my mind yet). What's the primary motivation for
using a distributed file system over a database-backed approach?

Best regards,
Yariv