jinterface can't connect to Erlang node

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Thu Jun 22 09:30:34 CEST 2006

Hi folks!

We have this interesting problem when trying to let a jinterface node
talk to an Erlang node: sometimes they just can't find each other.

Using -DOtpConnection.trace=4 the ouptut is
    -> PUBLISH (r4) jerlide_1a8833@REDACTED port=55020
    <- OK
    <- (no response)

The nodes are started using long names, and the host name is the one
that Java returns, for both nodes. The erlang node is started from
Java. It works in most cases, but not all. (We were using short names
before, but hit a very similar problem, the got solved when switching
to long names)

My interpretation is that Erlang and/or epmd may use different values
for the host name (regardless of what was used on the command line),
which causes this effect.

The question is:
* how can I make sure the names are always matching?

thanks in advance for any help!
best regards,
Vlad