Thesis Presentations / Erlang Robocup Experiences (London, 21/6 @ 1700)

Francesco Cesarini francesco@REDACTED
Fri Jun 16 01:25:47 CEST 2006

It is that time of the year again :-) You are all invited to attend two
thesis presentations and a talk on the Erlang "Funny Golf" robot on
Wednesday June 21st. The subjects covered include:

A Metrics for Evaluating Web Components in Erlang
While Erlang as a language has many of the features desirable in web
based applications, it lacks many of the reusable libraries and
components (either vendor specific or open source) readily available in
Perl and PhP. Lukas has been developing web components in Erlang for a
few months now, and in conjunction with it, has developed a metric for
evaluating their complexity, and hence, their reusability.

Evaluation of DBMS Systems for Erlang
Mnesia is lacking in several important areas to consider when
implementing systems with large scalability requirements. Based on a
study examining the requirements of Erlang developers,  Emil studied
four open source databases, their features, and and their
interoperability with Erlang, using AHP to evaluate them. The result is
a paper helping Erlang developers who have scalbility requirements
mnesia can't handle pick the one best one based on their requirements.

Experiences at the Eurobot competition
The Computer and Telecommunication Engineering department of the
University of Catania (Italy), headed by Corrado Santoro built a